The objects of this Chapter shall be to promote and forward the objects of The American Institute of Architects within the assigned territory of this Chapter. (The Institute objects are: to organize and unite in fellowship the members of the architectural profession; to promote the aesthetic, scientific and practical efficiency of the profession; to advance the science and art of planning and building by advancing the standards of architectural education, training and practice; to coordinate the building industry and the profession of architecture to insure the advancement of the living standards of people through their improved environment; and to make the profession of ever-increasing service to society.)
AIAVT Bylaws and Policies
This pdf file includes our current bylaws.
This pdf file includes antitrust guidelines and potential antitrust violations organizations such as AIA must avoid.
AIAVT has three different committee types: Executive Committee, Continuing Programs, and Ad Hoc. Please see below for descriptions and committee participation eligibility information. Committee meeting minutes are available upon request by contacting AIAVT's Executive Director, Sarah O Donnell.
AIAVT's Continuing Programs Committees:
- Public Policy: Our public policy committee is on the front lines, engaging with the issues that impact the architectural profession by working strategically with Vermont State Government to advocate on behalf of AIA Vermont's members. Committee chair: John Alden, AIA, Scott & Partners. Committee Members: Marjorie Dickstein, Jesse Beck, Bob Duncan, Sandy Vitzhum, Eric Morrow, Megan Nedzinski, Gregor Masefield, John Dale.
- Committee On the Environment (COTE): COTE is involved in the planning and execution of the AIANE COTE Summit, held in 2017 in Vermont. This committee also acts as an advisory group to other New England chapters when they host the annual summit. Committee co-chairs: Megan Nedzinski, AIA, Vermont Integrated Architecture; Jim Williams, AIA, Williams & Frehsee, Inc. Committee Members: Eric Morrow
- Membership: A new committee, formed to gain a deeper understanding of the makeup of our membership, plan and execute member outreach, retainment and recruitment activities, and help other committees plan their activities based on what we know about our members through direct interactions, feedback, and surveys. Committee Chair: Taryn Barrett, AIA, Duncan Wisniewski Architecture.
- Programs: The Programs committee brainstorms, plans and executes AIAVT's educational and social events and programs throughout the year, including building tours, trivia nights, socials and more. The committee works to ensure members have opportunities to earn AIA credits, learn about new projects throughout the state, and engage with our community of members. Committee chair: Evan Champagne, AIA, Freeman French Freeman. Committee Members: Jamie Wagner, Catherine Lange, Jane Pickell
- Communications: The communications committee plans, prepares and executes the chapter's various outreach strategies, including content creation for website news stories, our quarterly e-newsletter, social media and more. The communications committee works to ensure that all AIAVT outreach is brand appropriate and of value to our members. Committee Chair: Catherine Lange, Assoc. AIA, Freeman French Freeman. Committee Members: Andrew Schlatter, Sam Beall, Joel Page, Steve Clarke
- Scholarships & Awards: Previously two separate committees, the Scholarships and Awards Committee will be combined in 2019 to serve two aspects of the chapter's mission: to review scholarship and grant applications for AIAVT's various awards, and to assist with the planning of the Annual Design Awards, including the coordination and facilitation of the entries, guest jury, and the annual awards event each fall. Co- Chairs: Ward Joyce, AIA, Ward Joyce Designs; Jeff Stetter, AIA, Pella. Committee members: Taryn Barrett, Ryan Edwards, John Dale
- EPN: The Emerging Professionals Network (EPN) serves local emerging professionals by representation on the AIA Vermont Board of Directors, while in turn educating members about important developments within the design and construction industry. The EPN also serves a larger purpose by organizing events and projects that bring together students, young designers and experienced architects, in order to promote architecture and good design in our community. Committee Chair: Lealoni Coathup, Assoc. AIA, TruexCullins Architecture + Interior Design. Committee Member: Catherine Lange
Ad Hoc Programs and Events Committees:
- Golf Tournament:The AIAVT Golf Tournament committee plans and executes this annual fundraising event for AIAVT's scholarship programs. The tournament takes place each fall at one of VT's premier golf courses. Co-chairs: John Dale, AIA, Breadloaf Architecture; Catherine Lange, Assoc. AIA, Freeman French Freeman. Committee Member: Diem-Chi Nguyen
- ACX: AIAVT partners annually with the Construction Specifications Institute of VT (CSI VT) to plan and execute the ACX conference, Vermont’s Architecture & Construction Expo. This year's event will take place May 21st. Volunteers are also needed to help with day of event tasks. Committee chair: Brian Leet, AIA, Freeman French Freeman. Committee Members: Evan Champagne, Catherine Lange, Eileen Hee, Jamie Wagner, Joel Page, Rebecca Campbell, Taryn Barrett, Nathalia Ellis
Ad Hoc Committees:
- Corporate Governance: The Corporate Governance Committee reviews and makes recommendations for updates to AIAVT's essential documents as needed, including but not limited to: the Chapter Bylaws, Employee Manual, and Board Manual. Committee chair: Marjorie Dickstein, AIA, Dore + Whittier Architects. Committee Member: Taryn Barrett
- Public Outreach Committee: A new initiative of AIAVT's board, the POC is a newly formed committee that will work to promote the work of architects to the general public. This committee will work in partnership with Public Policy, Programs, Communications, and other relevant committees as needed. Co-chairs: Marjorie Dickstein, AIA, Dore + Whittier Architects; Gregor Masefield, AIA, Studio III Architecture PLLC. Committee Members: Andrew Schlatter, AIA, Bennington College; Peter Abiles, AIA Assoc., Birdseye.
Board & ExCom:
- Executive Committee: The business of this chapter is managed by the Executive Committee, which is composed of the officers of this chapter. Executive Committee members are nominated members of the AIAVT board. A list of the AIAVT officers can be found here.
- Board of Directors: AIAVT's Board works to set the strategic agenda of the organization, and provide oversight and direction to committees and staff. Board nominations happen annually in the fall, with the new slate of board members approved by a vote of the membership at the AIAVT Annual Meeting and Design Awards event (typically in December). Board President: Joel Page, AIA, Scott & Partners. A full list of board members and officers can be found here.
What Committees Am I Eligible to Be a Part Of?
What Is the Process for Joining a Committee?
To join one of the committees listed above:
- Please email AIAVT's Executive Director, Sarah O Donnell, noting which committee you are interested in joining.
- The ED will then forward the names of interested persons to the Executive Committee for approval.
- Once approved, the ED will connect you with the current committee chair and members, ensure that you are added to the appropriate email lists and inform you of the standing meeting day and time.