Make it Tight: Building Enclosure Airtightness Training
In this four hour comprehensive introduction to building airtightness and air sealing, attendees will gain detailed knowledge about:
- Why an air barrier is critical to high-performance construction – In-depth discussion of supporting building science, from energy efficiency to health to prevention of moisture damage. The importance of airtightness is one of the best kept secrets in construction. This session will unravel the myths and provide clear explanations.
- What is an air barrier and what are air barrier standards today – A comprehensive look at the materials and components used in making air barriers. From sheathing, to membranes, caulking, tapes and gaskets, there is a growing array of products to choose from. We’ll discuss them all and how they can help hit the airtightness numbers you need and keep it that way.
- How to design an air barrier – Uncovering the complete process and critical decisions optimize chances for success. Should the air barrier be outboard or inboard? How are the walls connected to the roof? What design decisions will make airtightness easier to achieve or harder? How do the materials and components go together? We describe answers in a way that helps the contractor make the airtight system a reality on-site.
- How to construct and test an air barrier – Describe implementation of design with real world examples of both new build and retrofit construction. We’ll see what is working well and what is not for different construction types, then look at the tools and methods for testing airtightness and delivering quality assurance.
The course is approved for professional continuing education credits:
– 4 AIA LU-HSW credits | 2 BPI CEU
Purchase tickets soon – space is limited.